Did you know that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases each year?
Food safety is a major public health priority. Foodborne illness is common and costly but can be prevented.
Online Courses (Currently being revised/updated)
- Farmers’ Market Consumer / Shoppers: What to Look For
This online course is designed to help educate shoppers on what to look for at Farmers’ Markets. You will find shopping tips and handouts to make your shopping trip successful and safe.
- Cottage Food: What Consumers Should Know
This online course addresses information a consumer needs to know, as well as questions to ask, to make informed decisions when purchasing food products from a Cottage Food Production Operation or Cottage Food Business.
- Understanding the Dates on Food Labels
Dates are placed on food labels for a variety of reasons. This online course will help you learn the differences between dates often seen on products/packages at your local retail stores.
Farmers Market Resources
- Rules and Regulations for Farmers Markets in Texas
- Farmers Market FAQ
- Organic Labeling at Farmers Markets A USDA publication
- Selling Honey in Texas
- Selling Back Yard Eggs in Texas
- Texas produce available chart English and Spanish
- Pocket guide/card for shopping at a Farmers Market
Cottage Food Production Resources
- HB 970-Texas Cottage Food Law
- Texas Cottage Food Law-FAQ
- Texas Cottage Food Law Handout
Home Food Preservation
- Jar Filling: https://youtu.be/UvhPBf3LcAI
- Peeling & Coring: https://youtu.be/tR5mHN9_-6o
- Recipe Sources: https://youtu.be/LuCqC8Wya58
- Handy Tools: https://youtu.be/ryJtsQFvfH0
- Using a Mandolin: https://youtu.be/dNUTt8KSBl4
- Jar Packing: https://youtu.be/4nvFVp59TM4
- Canning Problems: https://youtu.be/mDXdg0XPusA
Other Consumer Food Safety Resources
- Grilling food safely
- Safe handling of produce
- Guide to picking produce
- The history of foodborne illness
- Transporting food safely
- Holiday food safety
- Properly storing foods in the refrigerator
- Overall food safety at home
- Packing a safe and healthy lunch
- Food safety for food vendors
- Food safety for tailgates, parties, and picnics