Did you know that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases each year?
Food safety is a major public health priority. Foodborne illness is common and costly but can be prevented.
Online Courses (Some are currently being revised/updated)
- Farmers’ Market Consumer/Shoppers: What to look for
This one hour online course provides valuable information for consumers shopping at Farmers’ Markets for food that is locally produced, marketed, and consumed, as interest grows, so do questions.
- Texas Cottage Food Law Course The Texas Cottage Food Law allows residents to prepare and sell specific foods from an unlicensed residential (home) kitchen. This online course is designed to educate people who want to start a cottage food production operation out of their residence in Texas
- Understanding the Dates on Food Labels
Dates are placed on food labels for a variety of reasons. This online course will help you learn the differences between dates often seen on products/packages at your local retail stores.
Farmers Market Resources
- Rules and Regulations for Farmers Markets in Texas
- Farmers Market FAQ
- Organic Labeling at Farmers Markets A USDA publication
- Selling Honey in Texas
- Selling Back Yard Eggs in Texas
- Texas produce available chart English and Spanish
- Pocket guide/card for shopping at a Farmers Market
Cottage Food Production Resources
- SB 572-Texas Cottage Food Law – 2019
- Texas Cottage Food Law-FAQ – 2019
- Texas Cottage Food Law Handout – 2019
Home Food Preservation
- Jar Filling: https://youtu.be/UvhPBf3LcAI
- Peeling & Coring: https://youtu.be/tR5mHN9_-6o
- Recipe Sources: https://youtu.be/LuCqC8Wya58
- Handy Tools: https://youtu.be/ryJtsQFvfH0
- Using a Mandolin: https://youtu.be/dNUTt8KSBl4
- Jar Packing: https://youtu.be/4nvFVp59TM4
- Canning Problems: https://youtu.be/mDXdg0XPusA
Other Consumer Food Safety Resources
- Grilling food safely
- Thawing Foods Safely
- Slow Cooker Food Safety
- Dates on Food Labels
- Understanding Food Packaging and Marketing Claims
- Safe handling of produce
- Guide to picking produce
- Transporting food safely
- Holiday food safety
- It’s Turkey Time!
- It’s Turkey Time! Spanish
- Properly storing foods in the refrigerator
- Overall food safety at home
- Packing a safe and healthy lunch
- Food safety for food vendors
- Food safety for tailgates, parties, and picnics
- Texas Extension Disaster Education Network (EDEN)
- Partnership for Food Safety Education (Fight Bac)
- Gateway to federal food safety information
COVID-19 Food Safety Resources
The following sites provide resources for best practices for preparing for COVID-19 in relation to food safety and managing risk for individuals at home and the community. There is a wide range of information for consumers, many are in Spanish.
Food Safety To Go – Texas A&M AgriLife Extension – Food Safety tips on Curbside delivery, take out, and leftovers.
Handwashing and Household Disinfecting
Proper Handwashing video (Covid-19 guidance is to scrub/lather for 20 seconds)
Face Coverings (You should still practice social distancing and handwashing if wearing face coverings)